Thursday 10 October 2013

Introductory Blog! :D

M.E, writing a blog?? (Hah, my initials... M.E, oh nevermind) Didn't think I'd see the day, nevertheless, you always have to start somewhere. So here it goes! :)

My 'somewhere', is studying on probably the best Games Art Design course that is available! Is it something I've always wanted to do? Well to be honest, I didn't know such a place existed before the second year of my sixth form but I have always been interested in 3D models, CAD and drawing (Not the best at drawing, but we'll get to that in a bit). I chose art as one of my subjects at gcse and thoroughly enjoyed producing outcomes and getting positive feedback... however, I well and truly knew that for A-levels, It would be a push to do Art, Product Design, Chemistry, Physics and extended project, so instead I chose psychology due to my interest in how & why people behave & act the way they do (Oh how I regret not picking art!!).

In terms of the 3D side of things, for my work experience way back in secondary school, I had a 2 week placement working at the NISSAN Technical Centre Europe in Cranfield. I worked with a member of the CAD department - his name was Toshi, and researched materials+costs of them to produce a toolbox for the engine bay of their latest creation the "Cash Qui" in their own exclusive CAD software! To my amazement they allowed me to 3D print it and keep for myself!! So ever since then, I have been fascinated with making things in 3D and appreciating the time & effort that goes into making things using the computer.

From this, I chose to do extended project because I loved having the freedom of picking any subject that interests oneself and going on to look further into it. Thus, I chose "Digital Art". This was the perfect opportunity to obtain and create things using the computer and turn them into what can be considered 'Art'. People seemed to love them so much, they asked me to make them their own personalised backgrounds and I loved doing it, despite spending hours on end at the computer screen trying to make something which to me looked great aesthetically.

When it came to the big decision of what to study at university, I looked around for courses which focused on creating wonderful 3D work; out came De Montfort University & Games Art Design! It combined 3D, art and games, I mean, what could possibly be better?! I went to the open days and said to my Dad "I can definitely see myself here in the future". Alas, the interviews are a whole 'nother story... It became clear to me that traditional art skills are essential in succeeding in this as a career, so off I went to attempt drawing still life/even taking a life drawing class during my studies but was still certain I wasn't not good enough for the course - Seeing that acceptance E-mail made me the happiest I'd been in a while, but it dawned on me again "Should I really be doing this if I'm not any good"... I'll discuss my current progress in the next blog, but to give you an idea - Stress, stress & more... STRESS.

So what do I do in my spare time? Well currently, WHAT SPARE TIME?? Seriously though, my number one thing that I love to do... Spending time with close friends & family, cherishing all the time I am with them and enjoying their company. Generally though, I'm pretty much like most guys i.e. hangs out with mates/goes out to various activities, plays video games, enjoys sports etc... The usual. Music-wise, I have a small drum kit at home and play every now and again  - listen to mainly rock/metal/nu-metal. A few examples of bands/artists I find enjoyable to listen to are: Evanescence, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, 30 Seconds to Mars, Rise Against, Skillet, The Prodigy, Pendulum, Trivium, System of a Down, but my favourite band hands down is Linkin Park. Favourite cartoons: The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad and finally, good ol' South Park!

In order to not make this too long, I shall stop here and save my first experiences so far at De Montfort University for another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment