Thursday 17 October 2013

DMUGA Week 1 - Overwhelmed much?! :S

Aahhhh! Well, I have to admit I've been excited to start this course since the results came in; everything was well. I knew I would be starting at a disadvantage not having drawn a lot in the past so it would be a challenge and a hard one at that. Nevertheless, the excitement was high and I couldn't wait to get stuck in!

The first day involved visual design with Chris W & Jack G, starting with a small presentation about how the course is going to pan out for visual design. Whilst Chris was flicking through some of the previous 1st years'absolutely outstanding work that I could only dream of producing, I remember thinking "What have I got myself in for!?" However, when he asked with a slight smirk: "So, put your hand up if you think you're going to produce this kind of work right now." I did what I thought most people did... Put my hand up whilst simultaneously saying in my head "There's no way".
Moving onto the task, we had to produce some sketches (then a final outcome) of the pretty cool-looking bridge just outside Bede Island, focusing on 1 point perspective. This is basics. I struggled. For whatever reason, I've never sat down outside and just tried to draw; getting everything to be in perspective was actually difficult for me. In retrospective, starting to go all out final piece A3 wasn't the best idea, I hadn't planned anything, so some parts looked alright, others just... dodgy. I left that lesson feeling pretty bad and thinking "This will be embarrassing." Although, I had life drawing to try and redeem myself! No. It was hot, I couldn't concentrate and my sketches looked worse the everyone's. - Pretty bad first day in my opinion.

Day 2 consisted of visual production, yaayy!! First time ever using 3ds Max and I couldn't wait to get stuck into the software. We got taught the bare basics for creating shapes and selecting faces to alter etc and it was a good 3 hour session. After successfully completing the rather blocky church, I was happy considering it's something I've never used before. However, the second session came along with the 1st project... The Dalek, at first I thought "Hmm, really shouldn't be that bad, most of the shapes are straight forward." However, after spending 2 hours just on getting the base to look right, it dawned on me that it certainly wouldn't be so smooth. It did get completed within the next 2 days after the project was set, but it was most definitely time consuming, and in order to keep under the tri limit I had to cut out a few blocks around the neck area - At least it was done! For a first piece... Not bad!

Wednesday was critical studies with Michael P, he gave us all a very interesting (yet scary) introduction to the course & what we will be doing for the next 3 years. The seminar was very useful as it broke it down even further, letting us know more about times & dates etc (from what I remember, I could be mixing it up with another seminar though!).

Anyway, that concludes first first week of actual lessons. At this point I am feeling so overwhelmed as to what they expect of me, that I do admit to a couple of phone calls to my dad saying how I don't think I'm good enough; my artwork is totally not up to standard with everyone else, or to what is demanded. I am wishing that by week 2, I would have got to grips with things a bit better...

No comments:

Post a Comment