Sunday 30 November 2014

DMUGA Week 9 - Getting there...

I love Mondays! We get the whole day (if we want to), just to focus on 3D/Anything Game Production related, and even though it is technically around 8+ hours spent either modelling, textuing, or in the Game Engine, for me it is one of the most enjoyable/relaxing activity... Provided there aren't problems which can be a hassle to solve!
Anyway, as you may already sense, Monday was used to model and unwrap my robot character, 'Blue'. I made some great progress with him and this is the state I got him to on Monday:


Here's something you don't often here me say... Life drawing this week went kind of well! It would have been better if I actually bought a brown-papered sketch book and a white pencil/chalk, but it wasn't all too bad. This week we started something different; instead of 1 1.5 hour session of life drawing, visual design, then more V.D after lunch, we can now have 2 sessions of life drawing, 1 V.D, and the rest of the afternoon will be free for the tutors to give us feedback on our current work. That's awesome! It was a bit crowded in life drawing, but definitely manageable.
Morning session Life drawing:





Afternoon 35min Life drawing (Used a donkey instead of an easel):



Mike Kelly's demonstration on 'Photobashing' was quite an interesting thing to see. I've heard and seen people doing it before, but never really understood how they could 'bash' almost anything into their piece and still have it make sense/look good. I will no doubt be hopefully using this technique soon in the future (where appropriate) because it looks like a lot of fun!

In terms of my character project progress for Tuesday, I finished modelling 'Blue' and pretty much unwrapped him - Had an extremely frustrating problem with the UVW packing because the shapes are just so 'curvy', there is going to be a lot of wasted space no matter what I do. This will make me lose marks because it doesn't appear efficiently packed... When in fact, it's probably the best damn pack you can get from this one!

Unfinished UVW Packing for 'Blue' - Overlapping UV'S +Couldn't fit
After a comment from Mike's short discussion with me today, I had a think about how I could make my characters more dichotomous and what I came up with wasn't all that bad. I currently have a good, innocent robot + girl... Why not make the robot the same size, just a bit more evil?

When it came to Wednesday, I knew I had to add something to the robot to make him a bit more intimidating, but still play on the fact that he is pretty small, and therefore, not very threatening. All I did was change a few shapes, the body colour, and the eye colour from blue to red, but it still works!


I also got the rest of the girl modelled & unwrapped; aside form the head.



Thursday was a very interesting day for the design for my robot character. I tried out a lot of different colour schemes, as well as separated different elements out in terms of light and dark in order to give it some more 'punch' visually.


I also tried out some colour for the girl character too, just to see what works and what doesn't. The problem I have now is that I have to make both of their colours go well together. This is the progress I made:




On Friday, I tweaked the robot's topology and gave it a good base colour/texture just to see how it's looking so far:

Marmoset Render
Very crude composite, background image found here: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1418108/thumbs/o-SNOW-facebook.jpg
UE4
UE4
Over the weekend I also managed to rig the robot to a good degree, and do the asset document:

After making my robot slip over on an invisible banana skin, I was fairly happy with the rig itself, but there are definitely a couple of issue I'll need to fix, but other than that I quite like him!

Overall, I really enjoyed this week and I think it has gone pretty well. However, I'm still disappointed in myself that I haven't yet come up with a face for the girl and I cannot proceed with her unless I decide on this... Not sure how the following week is going to pan out, but I'm excited to see what cool characters other people have come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment