Sunday 2 November 2014

DMUGA Week 5 - Make way for the sentry guns! :)

I loved the film project but it's good to move onto something with more creative freedom. I'd like to give the film project another go, but on something much more 'Grand', so on a larger scale, but just doing it for personal work only of course. We have to evaluate our performance on Thursday, but other than that we're fully into coming up with ideas for the sentry gun!

We were officially set the new project on Monday by our 3D tutors, and Max gave a very nice demonstration on what we have to do in UE4 once we've modelled/textured our weapons. The whole day today was pretty much a resource gathering day alongside starting some silhouettes for our ideas.
Here's the moodboard & silhouette page I did:




Life drawing on Tuesday was not my best of days by a long shot... For some reason I just couldn't do things. I do struggle with colour so I think it's good we're doing more this year, but even when I tried to imitate them from an actual painting, they just didn't go. I seriously need to improve my colour work. In addition, I was very glad to here that Heather said we were going to focus on just the head and shoulders next week because the areas I have trouble with are: the head, and fingers/toes.




Tuesday was spent finishing off that 1st page of silhouettes that you see above, as well as starting to decide which route I wanted to go down. E.g. Sci-fi, fun, cartoon-like, wacky etc. In the afternoon lesson with Mike, we got some feedback on how we were going so far and a nicely swift presentation on how he went about doing a paint-over of his 3D model. The keypoints were:
-Selections for easy changes to areas.
-Clown rendering to easily separate different components of the sentry gun.
-Use colour overlays to quickly experiment with different colour schemes.

Here are some more silhouettes I came up with that day:



Internships are a great way to get some good experience in the field you desire to be in, and we had a great little presentation by Ewan (3rd Year) on Wednesday, who is currently doing one at BMW in Germany! How amazing is that? I'd love to be in the situation he's in right now, and all I have to do is compete for a spot... There are so many great artists who'd love to do this so I'd have to really push hard to have a shot at a place. When some more information arises, I'll look into it further to see what I have to do in order to have a go.

That evening, I did even more silhouettes to try to narrow down my options a bit and see where it is I'm headed. I picked 4 of the best ones that people liked the most from the other silhouettes and did a few iterations on each:






On Thursday we presented to Jack our work that we did for the film room project and talked about what went well, what didn't go so well, and how we think the outcome of the project faired against the actual scene. I also went into the life drawing studio to photograph some models of planar heads (Heads which show the planes of the face), and I'm really glad we have these and the fact that the next life drawing will be focused on the head/shoulders. As I've already said, this is one of my weaknesses in drawing people, and I'm glad we can get some time to practice it.

The rest of the week right up until Sunday was focused on the Sentry gun and getting a clear Idea as to what I wanted to make. I also did a quick model for the 50.cal bullet that it will be firing - It's not very high poly, but it's higher than what I want it to be, I'm therefore going to either do a quick bake once I've modelled/unwrapped the sentry gun, or just paint in the normals for it just to knock off a few tris:







I'm pretty pleased with how the idea is panning out, and the orthographics are going to be very useful when it comes to modelling it. I'd say that a couple of problems I may come across is getting the shape right as it is quite organic, and also keeping it below the 5000 tri-limit for the project. This is because a lot of the parts are round, and in order to make them appear that round, I'll need to use my loops very smartly in order to get the shape I want without busting the budget. If you look at the "parts" picture, I have tried to estimate how much I think the legs & tail will take up, and how much they'll leave for me to model the actual body of the sentry gun.

Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying the project, and I'm really excited to begin the modelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment