Wednesday 14 May 2014

DMUGA Week 32 - Quick update on projects :)

This week in terms of lessons has been almost non-existent due to a) Bank holiday b) No lectures/seminars. At least we had Game production? Not exactly...

In terms of visual design work, I just carried on with the Chicago project and spent a good day and a half trying to make a digital painting with orthographic drawings of my final design. This took me up to Wednesday morning and I was pleased with the outcome.

The reason why it took me a bit longer is because on Tuesday we came in as usual expecting to hand in the 'texturing project' work, but no-one showed up by lunch-break. I therefore spent that morning slightly improving on the texturing project, and then attempting to use one of the graphics tablets. I say 'attempting' because the ones I used had a very annoying circular animation which lagged and froze as I painted. Instead, after lunch I just went back and worked in my flat. Anyway, here is the final result:




I was very pleased with this because it was my idea and I made it look pretty decent, which I had previously not achieved in my eyes with previous projects. I hope to add some more details/decals to it in the future - perhaps even do another design! :)

So, that covers up until Wednesday... Admittedly, I took it easy for a couple of days, but it was not wasted at all. I took this time to sort, re-organise, re-scan and re-name all of my work I've done throughout the year. Believe me, this was not a task for one day as I would have lost my mind repeating the same procedure again and again for around 350 images. Visual design one day, life drawing on the other; at least now I have all of my work together and named appropriately on my computer + disk, ready for the hand-in day on the 16th May.

What about the weekend? Well, I have spent most of my time starting the 'Masters project' which we have to do as our last one. I chose to do "The rapture of Psyche" by 'William Bouguereau'. I chose this because I love the idea and it will give me a challenge with finding the colours.

It's not yet finished, but to give and idea of what I did to get proportions generally right and breakdown the image to understand it, this is the layout (Real one on the left, mine's on the right):



I have to admit, I am not great with colours because I almost always pick ones too saturated, but this image isn't saturated a lot. In order to learn from doing this, I decided to sketch it out with just a black brush on a an isolated layer (which took me quite a long time to get correct), and sampled 8-10 base colours from the image. WAIT! I know this is bad, but let's be honest here, I'm not at that stage yet, and I need this to learn. This stage provided me with a starting point, I then went and tried to find them myself and compared to the original... It took me a while to get an idea but once I got into it I was getting better at picking the similar colours. Some were a little off, but I just used hue/saturation/brightness/contrast adjustment layers used to correct tones which were a bit off. It is unfinished at the moment, but will post it in my next blog.

So, that's it! That was my week, not too intense, but I have learnt a large amount about colours and sketching using a graphics tablet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment