Sunday 4 May 2014

DMUGA Week 31 - Deadline's fast approaching!

I hope you all had a lovely Easter and now we'll get back down to business. Over the break we had to make a small scene for UDK using our game assets that we've made throughout the 1st year + any additional things. I found it difficult to incorporate all of them into one scene, so I decided to just select a couple and go with it. I decided to keep the gladiator and the trees, then put the others to one side whilst I make something up just to do for fun. Here's how the scene turned out:






I loved making the dragon's head, and it gave me something to just play with and see where it took me. Granted I only spent 1 week of my Easter holiday doing this, but I had so much fun! I am now also getting into UDK more, and trying to learn as much as I can in my own time through just watching video tuts.

Here's the other assets I made during Easter which you can't see above:

Simple armour display case + Sword/Shield plinths.
I also did a bit of drawing & digital painting over the break:





(There's more traditional but wouldn't upload correctly)
Anyway, now that's out of the way, not many days left until May 16th (DEADLINE)!!

Monday - Visual Design

Only a few things spring to mind for me when we get given the subject "1920's Chicago", especially when it comes to environments. So, out of the three areas (Character, Vehicle & Environment), I chose to do a vehicle. I have had a lot of fun looking at a lot of the car designs back in the 1920's and what previously didn't interest me, now I strongly like the aesthetics of them! One of the things I have decided to keep is the wheel arch... it HAS to be there in all its glory. After doing some moodboards/silhouettes/plan, I cam up with 6 ideas:




I liked ideas 2 & 5 so did a mash-up of them:


Unfortunately I haven't produced a digital paint of it yet, I will have it done by tomorrow but will start work on it tonight. This was my fault, I should have started it sooner.

Tuesday - Game Production

Well, today certainly came with a surprise for me. I didn't know what to expect since all of our projects were submitted & done, but we just received a 1 week-er to texture & rig a couple of character models we're given. Here's how that turned out (Not too well!):


They actually look better than what you see here.

Admittedly, I hoped that we would be able to come up with a theme and just practice making assets for whatever, putting emphasis on getting materials looking right and learning how to create them properly in UDK. We'll see what we do for the next 2 weeks, but hopefully we can do something BIG! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment