Saturday 18 October 2014

DMUGA Week 2 - Film interior problems! What scene to choose?

The second week into my second year at DMU studying Games Art, and it still amazes me how each project teaches me something new & improves me as a aspiring Games Artist!

The next project for 3D that we received on Monday was to start modelling the interior for our movie scene. I was really excited to just get stuck in and I did! We were shown how to use the new perspective tool in 3ds Max and I built a block-out for the scene in that morning. Here's the first block-out I produced:



Even though I was pleased with how it looked from the one camera angle, the room looked 'wrong' and out of proportion. At the time, I was reluctant to do it again, but one of the most important lessons I've learnt whilst being on this course is that if something doesn't have the desired outcome, and you potentially have to time to do it all again, then make another iteration. If anything it will be great practice! Therefore, after getting some advice from Steve, I re-blocked the scene out the following day and this is how it turned out:



As you can see, it is a lot more accurate and not only from just that one camera angle. This block-out was accurate enough for me to start modelling the structure of the house on top of it, but properly.
I must apologise, I didn't include how the first life drawing session went in my previous blog, so I'll mention it here. I didn't expect to just come straight in and draw anything too decent, but my drawings weren't a complete failure. However, I was a bit rusty and I'm really excited to get back into the swing of things and hopefully continue to improve! This current week, we produced drawings using charcoal, a rubber, and a charcoal covered sheet of paper. This is to focus on tonal ranges with the charcoal. I love this technique, however, I always find it difficult to get the range purely because the tiniest smudge using tissue paper will lighten up the black areas quite a lot, making it look flat.
Here's what I mean:

Week 1

Week 1

Week 2

Week 2


I am enjoying life drawing more so than last year, and I can see how much I've improved, but still have a very long way to go! I.e. My 2 minute drawings are very unfinished, and not aesthetically pleasing so I really need to improve on speed & accuracy.

In the afternoon session with Mike, we were told that for the movie project, we have a extra week. This is fine because it means we'll have more time, however, we only have this extra week because on Thursday they'd go through what movie we've all picked and give us the thumbs up or not. At this time I was just hoping that we could still do our scene because we've already done a fair amount for it. Nevertheless, I spent the rest of the day struggling to come up with other ideas that we could possibly do for this project. Here's all the mood boards for this project:






In addition, Mike showed us a colour palette technique which allows us to see how balanced the colour palette is of an image using a CMYK colour wheel:



I think Moonrise Kingdom is a good choice and I can't wait to make a decent start on the 3D side of things - Of which I started the next day by modelling the walls & side door frame.

We had another "Cool Sh*t Wednesday" presentation in the afternoon by Emma and even though it was a revision from a few months back, it was nice to see again what Emma has worked on and the kind of process she had to go through to make/animate little characters I.e. The horses from different angles made by an old painting program. Emma mentioned that one of the reasons why she loved her job was because you could change dramatically between art styles and what you are making in a short period of time, keeping it exciting and "fresh" each time. This is also one of my reasons I'd like to be a games artist!

Wednesday evening was spent making another mood board for other ideas we could do if Moonrise Kingdom got turned down. I have to admit, the past couple of days I didn't do much for the film project because I didn't want to put loads of hours in and have it be worthless to the project. However, the next day came and it turned out that Moonrise Kingdom was fine! Woohoo!

The lecture on Thursday Morning by Mike was re-enforcing what Joleon's presentation was about on Tuesday. The message from them were:

-Goal
-Audience
-Iteration

These are terms which we can all apply to many different projects in order to make them somewhat successful. A clear goal is needed (with the audience in mind/who it is for), and make many iterations of whatever it is you are doing to hopefully find that jewel of an idea.

The rest of Thursday was sent doing some 2D stuff and scaling the model in 3ds Max so that it fits to real-life. This means that for Friday's lesson with Jack, we can use the 3ds Max model to make it out of foam board and card by just scaling down using a conversion of 1:20. E.g. if the room is 8000mm across, the model's room would be 400mm across.
We measured all the aspects we needed to using a cuboid in 3ds Max:




I managed to get it all measured up and walls cut out whilst the group worked on modelling/unwrapping. We have also created a plan of what we need to do and with deadlines - this is very good because it'll give us something to guide our time to ensure we are doing things on-time:



I also did a little bit of modelling on Friday night, but not too much as I was pretty tired by the end of it... I need some downtime to relax!

Over the weekend, I got a fair amount done on the scene and this is what is looks like so far:



We also all got together as a group on Sunday night and tried to put together our physical model which is being made out of white card and foam board. It took way longer than expected and we still need to finish it at a later date; hopefully on Friday next week during Jack's lesson. Here's some of the process:












So a rather good week expect for the 'waiting period', I'm just glad that we could carry our film on and hopefully do it justice. There's a lot of work ahead but I'm sure we can do it, it'll be a painful process on the texturing of everything in our scenes though, as we have to make them super realistic as well as finish it all within the deadline! Ahhh, I'm not panicking... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment