Thursday 9 January 2014

DMUGA Week 15 - Term 2 Begins...

The holidays are over now, time to crack on with what needs to be done! As usual, I'm a bit nervous about starting, but hopefully things will be ok (thoughts before day #1).

Visual Design

The first week back has been a big hit in terms of workload. I have literally spent most of my waking hours trying to do work for visual design. Even though I know that the smaller sketches are only supposed to take 20-30 mins each, I take a lot longer. In fact thinking about it now, if someone suggests it'll take x amount of time, I'll be spending probably twice that amount doing it which means I end up being more stressed out because I can't see myself finishing the work in on time, this in-turn results in late nights to ensure it's done.
Going back to a previous blog post of "timetable my life", I have since then done exactly that. However, I'm always tired, my eating patterns are very weird to say the least, and I don't feel like my work is the best it can be even though I am most definitely giving 100% effort. Going off some advice from some friends, things I do may not be the best, but it's practice, and if it looks bad it's not the end of the world if you submit it - not everything will be great so accept it and move on to the next task.


Life drawing this week I felt was pretty good, as the first lesson back I decided to make my focus still on proportion and shading to some degree. I do admit that I can see improvement in my life drawings now from when we began, I.e. I've finally allowed myself to draw bigger by choosing a better composition & focusing on a certain area and enlarging it, as opposed to just drawing the whole scene. I know it's still not great, but once I've done some more like I did today, maybe I can go into correct shading for muscles instead of it looking a bit flat.

1 Page of the 'feet project' over Christmas

Laying pose #1














Game Production

The Transit van project was given to us and I was really looking forward to this one because I've seen speed modelling of vehicles on the internet and have always wondered how to do it. The technique we have to use is 'Strip modelling' and you build by extruding lines out for the majority of it. The design document we have to produce is good because it'll let me schedule what I need to have done by what time, plus any problems I came across along the way. Now, I'd love to be able to spend 5/6 hours straight just modelling this van, but because I'm so slow at drawing, I have to put most of my time into that and just work on the van when I can. This is a problem I've had to deal with since I've started, and I really hope it won't affect my model for this project too much.

Critical Studies

The lecture this week was a little 'booster' for the 3D aspect of this course. Michael spoke about seeing the world in primitives/basic shapes and incorporating volume in our visual work from using this concept. This is pretty much the level of expertise that I expected when I signed up, being able to look at ANYTHING in this world no matter how complicated, and model it in 3D and be able to say "I made this, it's not a photograph."
The seminar lead on from this and we had an activity to physically demonstrate the importance of low poly modelling which is accurate and a solid representation of the real thing. This also tried to show us how to think of objects as triangles and how we may be able to model it. The homework for this is to make a paper model of a person, which should get us to look at the form in a low poly mesh.

So, apart from the workload which is only going to increase, I'm excited to crack on with whatever they throw at us!

No comments:

Post a Comment