Tuesday 3 December 2013

DMUGA Week 10 - Formative Assessment day & Targets for next term!

This was the week that we all had our first formative assessment in which they sat us down as talked about how well we were getting along on the course. Now, I knew before entering that my life drawing wasn't exactly up to par with the high standard, but I had improved a lot since week 1 in general; considering my subject background at A-level, my progress was good and I just need to keep getting better.

Visual Design
I'll start off with the morning as usual. The project this week was on the National Space Station, and after walking there, it was already half 10. I therefore decided to get a couple of sketches done and walk back so that I could prepare for what I thought was going to be an even bigger 'kick up the bum' than the previous kicks.
Here's where the majority of my day lies. After witnessing many very talented people coming out of the assessment rooms looking very distressed, the fear of failing sank in even deeper because I know that what I'm producing isn't exactly great. The only thing I could say that I'm giving it my all and progress is being made.

The first meeting for 3D - Game production:
I've never used 3ds max before this course, and have had a couple of breakdowns whilst doing the bin & architectural project, but I think what was produced wasn't that bad. Steve's comments on my texturing were that I've made a lot of progress, and the attention to detail makes the model more interesting. However, I need to make sure that all the uv islands are correctly orientated so that the details of the textures all face the right way. Hopefully, I will continue to get better in the texturing, and making sure that my modelling is 'cleaner', not excessively using triangles in unnecessary areas. Therefore, I'm going to make this my goal for future projects, on top of what I'm currently doing.

The second meeting for Visual design:
I found the feedback very constructive, I knew my life drawing is poor, and a lot of my other work for Jack's classes lacks 'depth' because of the tone and the harsh outlines that I'm using. This was basically confirming what I knew had to improve, but it was great to get some input as to how I need to do so. Over Christmas, I want to practice my life drawing more than anything. Don't get me wrong, it'd be great if I can redo some of my finals too, but life drawing is my holiday work focus, alongside the 'feet project' we've been set. I plan to do some contour drawings, and quick sketches using different techniques: maybe some biro, the soluble ink etc. One of the comments was to "develop a greater sense of form", and hopefully by doing some contours, I can do so; which'll make my images look less "flat" - 'feel' the form.
All through this first semester, I've been trying so hard to make some progress and want to continue doing so. However, I vowed that Christmas would be a time I could relax and spend time with my family, after all they're the ones who put me here and have supported me. Those important to you in life should never go unnoticed, and you should always appreciate the time you have with them. So, as much as I'd like to practice more, I'd also want to relax a little bit and enjoy time with my family and friends. I'm very grateful for the comments, and wish to act upon them - as always, giving it my all.

Summary of assessments:
Overall, I think it went ok. There are clear areas that need some focus, but I am making progress. More life drawing practice is needed, and my aim for my future drawings is to add some depth, instead of a flatter image which is usually created through the definitive lines I keep doing around things. 3D requires more efficient use of texture space, and cleaner modelling in general. In addition, I need to experiment with some different rendering techniques and media, allowing my drawing to flow better/appear more relaxed & enthusiastic. - Not to mention over Christmas: redo some things, practice life drawing, and do the 'feet' project.

Game Production
I continued to work on my trees, and it was a very long day of Photoshopping branches, and arranging leaves around the main structure in order to replicate the reference images. Steve offered some very useful advice so that I would end up using less triangles, but still end up with a more 'fuller-looking' tree. This involved using the branches I've already made, and creating a branch on it's own, then making multiple branches around the main branch; all within one texture. This therefore meant that on one plane, I could get around 4-6 more branches than I would have got with just the original texture. I am a long way off finishing both trees, but I've made a good start on the canopies.
Something I'm noticing over the past few weeks is that I am definitely improving in my Photoshop skills. This is partly due to doing more texturing with it, but I've also been watching many tutorials on retouching & photomanipulation. I'm by no means good at it, but I am still improving nonetheless.
Moving on, despite it being another long day at the labs, I still enjoy the process of doing it all, but it's knowing that I can't focus all my attention on it, as visual design is my weakest area, and therefore needs more time to practice at this stage in time.

To shortly conclude, I have much to improve upon, a lot of work to do, and like always... I won't stop trying to get better. One must take on board the advice and "Strive to become a stronger version of yourself" - Elliott Hulse.

Plan for the rest of the week

  • Get my Space station drawings done, whilst using a couple of different mediums & techniques (experiment).
  • Complete/Finalise the trees - Still have quite a lot of hours to put in until I'd be happy with them.
  • Buy better sketchbooks & A1 paper - based on what the tutors said in the formative assessment.
  • Do some drawings of feet - must use contour lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment